Saturday 7 March 2015

Crazy Hair Syndrome

During my research about AS. I have come across several mentions that women with AS tend to have messy and unkempt hair.

While I doubt that it is a key feature of AS, it just so happens that it is true for me.

I have really wild hair. It is a combination of textures and is curly, straight and wavy all at the same time. Most of all, I have way too much of it!  Possibly I have enough hair for two if not three people.

Whether I have it short or long, it takes a lot of management. If I have it short, it has to be wet down constantly as there is no way I could just leave it all sticking up and out after a night's sleep.

If it is worn long and down then it goes off the Craziness Stratosphere!

Consequently it is generally tied back in a very thick pony tale. Even then it looks a mess as it tries to escape it's constraints.

Going to the hairdressers will always elicit comments of "Oh, haven't you got thick hair" or you can see the look of disappointment of the hairdressers face when they realise that you are their client!

The thing is that I hate for my hair to look tidy anyway. Once I had to be a bridesmaid and they gave me a shampoo and set! I wept buckets and threw a right old meltdown. I still believe they managed to make a 10 year old look at least 40! You can see in the photographs how unhappy I am.

When I was at senior school, desperately trying to fit in, yet remain invisible at the same time, a girl took me to one side.

She told me that they had been discussing me and they had come to the conclusion that I was never going to get a boyfriend with my hair. Can you imagine how that felt? Thanks for that, it has made me feel much comforted.

Deep down I think I look hideous whatever I try to do with my hair. After sixty years I cannot imagine a bucket load of self esteem coming my way, but I do try to concentrate on the things that give my pleasure and get by.  Anyway, I must go now and wash my hair! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment