Saturday 2 January 2016

The delights of Acid Reflux

I read in Rudy Simone's profile of an adult woman that many people with the syndrome suffer with Acid Reflux. I forget the percentage but it was quite high if I remember correctly.

Now I am not sure if there is an additional link to the types of food eaten too. Mine appears to be quite random but if I think of the times I seem to get it more, it relates to carbohydrates, definitely chocolate (see new year resolutions) and after eating stuff like pizza, which I don't do that often.

My problem is that as soon as I stop eating something I use to moderate my moods, then I am instantly looking for a replacement. Hence yesterday when I could no longer eat chocolate, I was casting around for something else to eat. As I was buying chocolate for my son and his LO (loved one), I ended up grabbing a pack of mini sausage rolls!!

I also bought some bread and soup for my tea.  I am determined to get back on my low carb eating plan on Monday, so as an alcoholic who is having to get on the wagon, I found myself wanting to eat things for the next couple of days.

After cramming several of these sausage rolls in, together with the soup and bread, I had no idea of the delights I was in for.

I hadn't been asleep for long when I awoke to the sensation of wanting to be sick and a mouth full of a stinging acid type of liquid. I jolted up and spent ages swallowing and gagging at the burning in my poor old throat. My heart was pounding loudly and I was sweating.

Trying to calm myself down took a lot of effort. I spent the rest of the night sitting up and dozing as I was too scared to lie down again.

This morning I awoke with a pounding headache and feeling as if I had been run over by a steam roller.  It was around 10.30 which is really late for me.

I was in no fit state to do anything, so curled up on the settee with the cat and dozed. When I woke again it was 1.45 pm. Still a terrible headache but the sick feeling was gone.

It is now nearly 6 pm and I am feeling a bit better.

So here are a few more NY resolutions.

1. Don't eat sausage rolls you fool.

2. Don't eat anything after 7 pm on a weekend night.

3. Don't ignore what your poor old body is trying to tell you.

1 comment:

  1. I do sympathise as I have acid reflux and a Hiatus Hernia too. I think that certain meds, such as SSRIs cause digestive issues and allied to the fact that they commence the tiredness/lethargy/sofa-slumping weight gain cycle. It's so hard.

    ReplyDelete